Kara Sev is a spicy Savory. Variants of this can include Garlic, Potato etc. I did not use Garlic the day I did this.
1. Gram Flour (Besan ) 2 1/2 cups
2. Rice flour 1
3. Chilli powder 1/4 tsp
4. Black pepper coarsely powdered 1 tsp
5. Ghee 2 1/2 tsp
6. Cooking soda pinch (optional)
7. Salt to taste.
8. Crushed garlic (optional) 2 pods
9. Oil to deep fry.
Method:1. Sieve both flours and make a pit.
2. In that pit put chilli powder, Pepper powder, Salt , Crushed garlic, Ghee, Cooking soda (if u r using).
3. Mix thoroughly with hands. It should look like bread crumbs. Make this into 4 portions.
4. Take One portion of this mixture, sprinkle water, knead like Puri dough.
5. Heat oil in a kadai, Use a ladle with lot of holes (Kara Sevai ladle) or Sev maker.
Put some dough on that and rub directly into oil.
6. It will be like split string. Deep fry in oil , drain excess oil.
7. After cooling this off, Store this in an airtight container.
Follow the same procedures (4 to 7) to make remaining Sev.
This can be enjoyed for a month.
Tips:1. Using in portions helps to prepare fresh mixtures that shall Consume less Oil.
2. Do not keep the mixture too watery, as strings would not turn nice. Add some more besan to bring this into a right mixture.
3. While rubbing into the Oil, rub the dough towards you.
* You interact with Hot Oil more in this snack. This is preferably made when kids are not around. *