Rava Kichadi - - ரவா கிச்சடி
In South Indian weddings this is a very common breakfast item.
Kichadi can be made with Rava or with the combination of Rava and Semiya (Vermicelli)
The texture of this dish will be very soft compared to Upma and has added vegetables in it.
1. Rava 1 cup (or) Rava + Semiya (Vermicelli) - 1 cup
2. Mixed Vegetables cut into small pieces 1 cup to 1-1/2 cups
(Carrot, Beans, Peas, Potato )
3. Tomato - 1 cut into small pieces
4. Onion medium size - 1
5. Green Chilli - 2 - chop finely (according to taste)
To differentiate with beans and green chilli, split the chilli length wise)
6. Ginger finely chopped - 1/2 tsp
7. Curry leaves
8. Salt to taste
9. Hing/ Perungayam
10. Turmeric Powder according to your colour preference
11. Water - 2-3/4 cups
1. Oil - 2 tbls
2. Ghee - 1 tbls
3. Cashew nut - broken into small pieces ( optional)
4. Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
5. Urad dal - 1 tsp
6. Channa dal - 1tsp
1. Roast Rava (Rava semiya mixture) till golden without adding oil.
2. Heat oil in a Kadai or in small pressure cooker and temper the ingredients first and fry onions, chilli, curry leaves and chopped ginger till translucent.
3. Now goes vegetables, hing, salt and turmeric powder and sauté nicely, cover and cook till the vegetables are done.
4. Pour water, chopped tomato and bring it to boil.
5. When the water is boiling add slowly the fried Rava and cover and cook till done.
6. Now add ghee and switch off the stove.
+ Adding a pinch of Sugar in water enhance the taste of this Rava Kichadi.
+ Lime/ lemon juice can be added at the very end to get tangy taste.
+ If using pressure cooker no need to put its weight.
+ After adding Rava cook in slow flame.
Serve this Rava Kichadi with Coconut Chutney.