Thakkali Thokku (Tomato Thokku)
A pickle made with Juicy Tomatoes..
1. Ripe Tomato - 1 kg.
2. Salt - to taste
3. Garlic Pods - 4 to 5 ( Optional)
4. Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
5. Curry Leaves - One string
6. Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
7. Fenugreek Powder - 1 tsp
8. Oil (prefer Gingely Oil) 50 ml.
10. Turmeric Powder
11. Tamarind - Small gooseberry size.
12. Dry Red Chillis - 3 (broken into pieces.)
1. Blend ripe Tomato (discard green portion, if any), Tamarind, Salt.
2. Strain to remove seeds and skins of Tomatoes.
3. In strained Juice, add Chilli powder, Hing, Turmeric powder and check for salt.
4.. Heat oil in a Kadai, season with Mustard seeds, Curry leaves and Dry Red Chillies.
5. Fry Garlic for a minute and pour Tomato juice and mix well.
6. Cook until it turns thick and Oil floats on top.
7. Add Fenugreek powder, mix well and switch off.
8. Cool it and store in a Clean, Dry container.
* Notes *
=> Dry roast Fenugreek seeds till nice smell comes, Cool it and Powder it.
=> Thakkali Thokku is Best to go with Idli, Chappathi, Dosa, Rice and even as a Bread spread.
=> Can last for 10 or more Days, if refrigerated.