This is one Meal Dish with Rice and Dal flavored with South Indian Spices.
1. Rice 1 Cup
2. Toor Dal 1/4 Cup
3. Small Onions ( Shallots) 15 Nos (cut into slices)
4. Garlic Pods 8 Nos
5. Curry leaves
6. Salt to Taste
7. Green chilli 1No
8. Tomato 1 Medium Size cut into cubes
9. Water 2 1/2 Cups
10. Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
Ingredients for Tempering :-
1. Mustard Seeds. 1/2 Tsp
2. Jeera ( Cumin Seeds) 1/4 Tsp
3. Dry Red Chilli 2 Nos. ( broken into pieces)
4. Oil 2 tablespoons
1. Wash Rice and Dal and Soak in water for 15 to 20 Mins.
2. Heat oil in a Pressure cooker season with Mustard Seeds, Jeera, Green and Red chillies and
3. Now goes the Cut onions, Garlic and fry till Onion becomes soft .
4. Add the Cubed tomatoes and immediately pour 2 1/2 cups water.
5. Add Salt, Turmeric powder to the water and bring it to boil.
6. Now add the Soaked Rice and Dal mix thoroughly and bring it to boil.
7. Pressure cook till 3 whistles and sim the gas for 5 mins.
Serve this Rice with Melted Ghee on top .
Curds and Pickle goes well with this rice.
Quick, easy and wholesome meal to prepare for those living alone.
This is a Kongu style preparation that I picked up from a Tirupur friend.
Minor variations with Garam masala, Moong dal instead of Toor dal may also be tried out.