Dry fruit halwa is a traditional, rich and nutrient dense halwa with Cashew, Badam(almonds), Figs, Walnuts, Raisins, Macademia, Dates and Pistachios. Flavored with Elaichi (cardamom) and Saffron.
Strength of the ingredients
Raisin is rich in sugar content. It is also a good source of iron thus useful for anaemic people.
Cashew nuts provide protein and fiber. It is also rich in mono-unsaturated fat that is helpful in preventing heart problems. Moreover, it contains potassium, B vitamins and traces of magnesium, phosphorous, selenium and copper.
Almonds are good source of Iron, copper, phosphorus and vitamin B1 which help in the creation of new blood cells, hemoglobin and help in proper functioning of vital organs of the body. Walnuts are the only nuts that have omega-3 fatty acids in high amounts and Omega -3 fatty acids are helpful in lowering triglycerides.
Pistachios have a yummy taste and flavor and are prized for its addition in delicacies like pista ice-cream, halwa or burfis etc. Pistachios contain a wide variety of nutrients called carotenoids which is beneficial to eye health. They contain fiber, which helps people feel fuller for longer periods of time.
1. Mixed Dry fruits (as in picture ) chopped 2 1/2 cups
2. Corn Flour 1 cup
3. Sugar 2 1/2 cups
4. Ghee 1 cup
5. Water 5 cups total ( mix 1 cup Corn Flour in 31/2 cups water, remaining water to make sugar syrup)
6. Yellow Food Colour
7. Lime /Lemon Juice 1/2 tsp
1. Elaichi / cardamom Powder
1. Dissolve sugar in heavy bottom kadai with 1 1/2 cups water, make a syrup. When the sugar syrup start to boil add lime/lemon juice and boil the syrup for few mins. (no need for string consistency)
2. Mix corn flour in water without any lumps and pour on sugar syrup.
Stirring continuously will make it thick and give a glossy look, at this point add 1 tablespoon of ghee, Yellow food colour, Chopped Dry fruits. Keep on stirring continuously adding ghee in frequent intervals.
3. Now the mixture will become thick and start leaving the sides. (almost it takes 20 mins)
4. The mixture will turn with your ladle without sticking to the bottom, this is the stage to add elaichi powder, saffron and mix well (very brisk mixing needed)
5. Pour this mixture on a greased plate and allow to set for atleast 1 hour.
6. When it gets cool cut into desired shape and serve.
Rich ingredients and wholesome preparation make this sweet an all rounder - Balanced, Nutritious and an Enjoyable delicacy.