Rasam that has a blend of Salt, Sour and Bitter taste.
Rasam that is very soothing.
Veppampoo (Neem flower) is believed to have medicinal properties that are good for the stomach.
Easy to make.
1. Veppampoo (cleaned ) 2 table spoons
2. Diluted Tamarind water 1-1/2 cups or (Soak small marble size tamarind andtake out the pulp)
3. Salt to taste
4. Gud - Little (Jaggery)
7. Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
1. Mustard seeds
2. Toor dal 2 tsp
3. Curry Leaves one sprig
4. Broken Red Chillies 4
5. Oil or Ghee 1+1 tsp
1. Heat the ghee in a Kadai, add Mustard seeds and when it splutters add Toor dal, Dry red Chillies andCurry leaves.
2. When Toor dal turn golden, add diluted Tamarind Water, Salt, Turmeric, Gud and bringit to a boil.
3. When the raw smell of Tamarind goes, add 1/2 cup water and cook on slow fire.
4. When it is about to boil, Switch off. (Stopped at this stage is Goddu Rasam - Simple Rasam without any Dal.).
5. Fry Veppampoo in another spoon of Ghee and Pour over Rasam. (Addition of the Neem flower makes this Veppampoo Rasam)
6. Close with a lid. [Else the taste the Rasam will go out with its vapours. :-( ]
Serve Piping hot with Steamed rice.