Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Brussel Sprouts Stew
I had bought Brussel Sprouts.
What can I do with these leafy green heads? Normally I make Vatha Kulambu with this. [Am saving some of the Sprouts for this.]
This time around I wanted use of this Veggie with JFI of the month "Coconut" and decided to make a Stew.

Some Ingredients for Stew

Here goes what I made:=

Ingredients Needed:
1. Brussel Sprouts 10 to 12
2. Onion Finely chopped 1/2 cup
3. Tomato Puree 1/4 cup
4. Salt to Taste
5. Coconut Milk 1/2 cup
6. Sambar Powder 1 tsp
7. Oil 1 table spoon


Ingredients for Paste:
1. Coconut (grated) 2 tablespoons
2. Green Chillies 3 Nos
3. Ginger One Small Piece
4. Garlic 2 pods
5. Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
6. Fresh Coriander Leaves handful
7. Little Salt.
8. Sugar 1/2 tsp
9. Little Tamarind
10. Few Cashew Nuts
Grind the above finely into paste and Keep Aside.

Steamed Brussel Sprouts

Method:
1. Wash and Clean Brussel Sprouts and make slits and Steam Cook.
2. Apply the Grinded Paste inside the slit and out side and keep it for 20 minutes.
3. In another vessel, pour the Coconut Milk. In Coconut Milk add sambar Powder or Dhania Chilli powder, remaining Grindedpaste, salt and keep it aside.
4. Mean time, heat Oil in a Kadai /pan and fry chopped onions till golden brown.
5. Now goes, Tomato Puree and cook well till oil separates.
6. Now add stuffed Brussel sprouts and fry for a minute.
7. Now add coconut milk mixture, check for salt and cook till gravy thickens

Serve with Rice or Rotis.

<>Stew came out well but was relished by all in the family.
<>

Brussel Sprouts Stew


This is My Submission for JFI#9 (Coconut) hosted by Ashwini of Food for Thouught

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely MT ! You always have such brilliant and innovative recipes.

I think I will like brussel sprouts this way. Btw Nice pictures!

Lakshmik said...

Nice recipe. Very innovative.

Shammi said...

Hey, I'm intrigued by your mention of vatha kulambu with brussels sprouts. Waiting for the recipe post! :)

Lakshmi said...

lovely stew using brussel sprouts and i liked your cookies too, will try soon

FH said...

Sounds and look great MT! I have never tried Brussel sprouts although they are easily available.I will try your recipe.

Thanks for visiting me today.I just posted a new one!:)

Anonymous said...

Unique way to cook brussel sprouts, here in Bangalore we have a couple of varieties ,i normally opt for the one which is on the less bitter side.I plan to try your way soon...Thanks MT:)

Krithika said...

Again a very new recipe .. looks good too. Thanks for sharing

USHA said...

Hi,
Nice recipe, i liked your way of convertting availble veggie to our Indian style.

Vini K said...

Hi MT,this looks absolutely the kind of recipe for winter dinners.will definitelt try this soon..thanks for sharing this one:)

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.Hey nice one.Thanks.

KA said...

MT,
Stew looks delicious, I have never tried brussel sprouts before. After hearing many people complain about them..I could never push myself to try this veggie. Now that I have your stew recipe, I will give them a try.

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Nice recipe MT,

good explanation with clean and nice pictures. And great thoughts.This shows ur cooking skills:-) Thanks for sharing such a good recipe

Menu Today said...

Hi priya,
Thanks a lot for your kind words.

Hi LakshmiK,
Thanks.

Hi Shammi,
I will post it in the new year.
It is regular vatha kulambu with brussel sprouts. Try this, you will like it. Thanks.

Hi Lakshmi,
Thanks a lot.

Hi Asha,
Thanks, Have a great holiday.

Hi Lera,
Please do let me know when you try this.Thanks.

Hi Kirthika,
Thanks..

Hi Usha,
Thanks a lot .

Hi Vini,
I think you will really love this. Thanks.

Hi Dr.Bhat,
Thanks for your comment. Please do visit my blog whenever time permits.

Hi KA,
You will like this for sure. Do let me know when you make this. Thanks.

Hi Meena,
Thanks for your kind words..

Ashwini said...

Very very unique dish MT...love your combination. Thanks for your entry

Kavita A said...

This dish is just fabulous!! I found my way to your blog via onehotstove.
Loved this dish.

Blogger said...

3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!