Diwali Legiyam (Diwali Medicine).
Diwali Celebrations are coming to a close. Hope everyone enjoyed the Diwali feasts and treats with family and friends. Too much of feasting may follow with fasting due to stomach upsets, for a few. Thats why in our Diwali tradition its good to include something that can prevent this.
Black Pepper, Ajwain, Dry ginger in centreThere comes the Diwali legiyam, part of our tradition, that is good for digestion. For family and visitors when we serve the Diwali treats, a small lump of this Legiyam is also served so that they have this legiyam first and enjoy treats unthinking of any worries. [In tamil as we say, Virundhukku mun Marundhu or Medicine before Feast.] It has a strong spicy/sweet/sour taste.
Maa Ladoo, Mixture, Mullu Murukku,
Ribbon Pakkoda and Diwali Legiyam in centre.
Here goes the Ingredients Needed:
1. Pepper 2 tsp
2. Jeera 2-1/2 tsp
3. Ajwain (Omam) 1/4 cup
4. Kandanthippili 10 sticks
5. Coriander Seeds 2-1/2tsp
6. Dry Ginger (Sukku) small piece
7. Ghee 3 tsp
8. Gingely Oil 4 tsp
9. Jaggery (For 1 portion of paste, 1 portion of gud)
10. Elaichi Powder
1. Soak 1 to 6 items in warm water for 2 hours.
2. Grind into a smooth paste
3. Cook this paste, till good smell comes.
4. Pour little water on jaggery and cook till it melts.
5. Filter it, cook again for 5 minutes.
6. Add the paste on Jaggery and cook by pouring some oil and ghee.
7. When it leaves the sides, switch off.
8. Add honey and elaichi powder mix well.
Source: My Mother