Monday, October 01, 2007



Vazhaithandu Curd Pacchadi (Raita)


Banana Stem contains lot of Fibre.
It is very good vegetable for those who suffer from Kidney stones.
It act as a Slimming agent.
The tender core of the banana plant's trunk is also used, notably in the Burmese dish mohinga, Bengali and Kerala cooking.
The juice extract prepared from the tender core is used to treat kidney stones.
The Menutoday is Banana Stem Raita.

Ingredients Needed:
1. Banana Stem (cut into small pieces after taking out fibre)
Keep Immersed this cut stem in ButterMilk Water.
Ie. Add 2 tsp of curd to water.
2. Salt to taste
3. Hing
4. Curds

Ingredients for Grinding:
1. Grated Coconut 2 tsp
2. Green Chillies 1 (According to taste)

Ingredients for Tempering:
1. Oil 1 tsp
2. Mustard Seeds
3. Urad dal
4. Dry red Chillies
5. Curry Leaves


Method:
1 Steam Banana Stem adding little salt.
2. Cool and add to curds.
3. In that curd Mixture add grinded paste.
4. Temper the ingredients in oil and Pour over Pachadi.


Have this Delicious Raita with Biryani, Roti etc.


This is my Submission forJFI(Banana) Hosted by Mandira of Ahaar

16 comments:

Daily Meals said...

I never tasted banana stem raita....it looks delicious.

FH said...

Ooh! This pachadi sounds great MT. I don't get Banana stem, but I could use the cooked Plantain.Thanks!:))

Sia said...

u r coming up with some of the very authentic south indian dishes MT...~drool~

Finla said...

It looks delicious
My mom used to make lots of dishes with bnana stem.

bee said...

what a simple, wonderful recipe. thanks for posting it.

Siri said...

Wow.. Banana stem raita.. lovely entry MT..:D

mb said...

great entry MT, looks fabulous! -- Mandira

Mansi said...

looks simple and tasty! I've heard about the goodness of banana stem, so this one is worth a try!

Suganya said...

I don't get vazhathandu here, MT. Not even once. I want to make mor kootu too. The recipe is exactly the same as yrs.

J said...

Looks simple and mouthwatering!

Sharmi said...

we never get vazathandu! where do you live:)) I miss it a lot. my mom makes delicious poriyal. they say its good for kidney stones too.

Anonymous said...

Another recipe for banana stem, and it looks so tasty MT! Now I really must find this veggie :)

Ramya said...

Good recipe. Where do you get Banana stem? I live in NJ and haven't had much luck. Please let me know where I can buy these.

Menu Today said...

HiDM,
THanks a lot.

Hi Asha,
Thank u so much.

Hi Sia,
All credit goes to mother and mother-in-law. Thanks.

Hi HC,
Elders have good collection of authentic recipes, thanks for visiting.

Hi Bee,
Thanks for visiting.

Hi Siri,
Thank you so much.


HI Suganya,
I love moor koottu, often I make that. I add little jeera while griding for that. Thanks.

Hi Sharmi,
I live in singapore. Here all Indian vegetables are available.

USHA said...

Good and healthy entry...new recipe too..

Anonymous said...

I live in Edison NJ , I have been searching for banana stem.Please let me know if anyone finds it near by area. email - sesha_bala1@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Sesha