Nei Kozhukkattai or Fried Modak.
We used to make this Modak for Ganapathy Homam.
In our house we make this for our Kuladeivam visit.
This is can be stored for a week.
Ingredients Needed for Poornam (பூரணம்):-
1. Grated Coconut - 1 cup
2. Powdered Jaggery - 3/4 cup
3. Elaichi powder
4. Ghee - 1'tsp
Ingredients for Mel Maavu (மேல் மாவு):-
1. Maida 1 cup
2. Rawa - 1 1/2 tablespoon
3. Melted ghee - 2 tsp
5. Water to knead
6. Oil plus 1 tablespoon ghee for frying
1. Mix jaggery and Grated coconut and cook in a medium flame.
9. Deep fry it in oil till golden.
10. Drain excess oil and keep it in a air tight container when it is cool.
Rawa gives the crispness to the Modak.
Apply water to the edges to stick finely.
It is important to dry for few minutes before frying.
If we fry immediately after sticking the stuffing will come out and spoil the colour of the modaks.
! ! ! HAPPY GANESH CHATHURTHI ! ! !