Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pitlai
Pitlai is a thicker version of sambar which is served with Paruppu sadam. [Dal Rice]
Pitlai can be prepared with Bitter gourd, Brinjal etc.

Another version of this Pitlai can be made with Vegetables and Chickpeas.

Ingredients Needed:
1. Bitter gourd 3 (Cut into round pieces, apply salt and keep it aside for 30 minutes)
2.Tamarind water 1 cup (small gooseberry size tamarind soaked in water)
3. Salt to taste

4. Turmeric Powder
5. Jaggery

6. Hing

7. Cooked Chick peas (Optional)

8. Cooked Tur Dal 1 cup


Ingredients for Paste
1. Dhania seeds (Coriander) 2 tsp
2. Channa dal 1 tsp

3. Urad dal 1 tsp

4. Black pepper 6 to 7 nos
5. Dry red chillies 3 to 4 (according to taste)
6. Grated coconut 4 tablespoons.
7. Rice 1/4 tsp
8. Oil 2 tsp

Ingredients for tempering:
1. Mustard seeds

2. Curry leaves

In oil add all items except coconut and fry till golden brown and keep it aside In same oil fry grated coconut till golden and keep it separate. Add 2 tablespoons of fried coconut to the above ingredients and make coarse paste.
Method:
1. Squeeze Bitter gourd pieces to remove excess bitterness.Cook separately with turmeric powder and keep it aside.
2. In a vessel pour tamarind water, cooked Bitter gourd pieces, Hing, Salt, Jaggery and cook till raw smell of tamarind goes.
3. Now goes cooked Tur dal, Chickpeas, Grinded paste and cook till gravy thickens.

4. Temper with Mustard seeds, Curry leaves and pour over this pitlai.
5. Now add remaining fried coconut.

# Serve hot with rice. #

To give crunchy bites, I had added while tempering 2 tsp of channa dal.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be so tasty for breakfast, MT! Looks lovely :)

FH said...

My mouth is watering MT! I bought some Brinjals yesterday,I will make this.Thanks for the recipe,looks yum!:)

Sharmi said...

I am bookmarking this recipe. looks so traditional and lovely. I will try this out and let you know.

Sia said...

i cant wait to try this one MT. guess it will go very well with idli and dosas as well.

Chef Jeena said...

Hey menu great recipe I bet it is real tasty :)

USHA said...

Hi MT,

Pitlai is something new...oh got the information today from your post.

Krithika said...

I love pavakka pitlai. Combination with paruppu sadam is unbeatable. Why dont you send this to JFI-Chillies ?

Anonymous said...

South indian food is yummy. sambars are awesome

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it, will have to try it once and taste the yummy dish. Thanks for sharing.

Bong Mom said...

This is something new for me, I didn't even know the name.
Looks good in that pretty Kadhai

Menu Today said...

Hi Linda,

Thank u so much for your kind words..

Hi Asha,
Try this curry with brinjal, u will love it... Thanks for visiting...

Hi Sharmi,
Please do let me know the outcome of it.. Thanks

Hi Hima,
Thanks a lot for visiting my blog..


Hi Sia,
Yes, this curry will go well with any tiffin items...Thanks for visiting..

Hi Jeena,
Thanks a lot..
Hi Usha,
When time permits, try this. You will love it... Thanks

Hi Kirthika,
I am very happy to see your comment. Thanks for ur kind words..

Hi Fitline,
Thanks for visiting my blog..

Hi Sandeepa,
Thank u so much for visiting my blog..

Suganya said...

This is looking lovely.... Delish....YUM!...

swapna susarla said...

I have tasted sambar with bittergourd at somewhere in tamilnadu..that looks lovely!!!

Suganya said...

I like to add crunch too to sambar. Love yr idea of chana dal in the tempering. This dish holds such a special place in my heart. One of the key dishes that made me fall in love with bitter gourd.

Swaruchy said...

Its a nice blog that you have here.....My fav veggie is Brinjal.....now my mouth is really watering :-) Will try it out :-)

TBC said...

Your pitlai looks so good! I love your serving bowl