Monday, June 18, 2007

Brinjal Rasavangi Koottu

Rasavangi is a type of Kootu [Stew] made with Brinjal or White Pumpkin.
This can be a Main dish or a Side dish.
Brinjal Rasavangi is tangier and goes well with any Thuvayal [Chutney] Rice.


Ingredients Needed:
1. Brinjal or White Pumpkin Pieces 2 cups
2. Cooked Toor dal 1/4 cup
3. Tamarind water 1/4 cup
4. Fried Channa dal 2 tablespoons
5. Salt to taste
6. Hing
7. Turmeric Powder
8. Rasam Powder 1 1/2 tsp
9. Jagggery very little
Ingredients for Masala Paste
1. Coriander seeds 2 tsps
2. Grated Coconut 2 tsps
3. Dry Red Chillies (According to taste)
4. Raw Rice 1/4 tsp

Fry the above in little oil till golden brown, cool and grind into paste

Ingredients for Tempering
1. Mustard Seeds
2. Curry Leaves
3. Oil 2 tsp
Method:
1. Heat Oil in a pan/kadai. Fry Channa dal till golden brown and keep it aside.
2. In same oil temper Mustard seeds, Curry leaves and add Brinjal pieces.
3. Fry for a few minutes then add Turmeric Powder, Hing, Salt, Tamarind Water, Rasam Powder, Fried Channa dal (kadalai paruppu) and cook till brinjals become soft.
4. Now goes, Masala Paste, Cooked dal, Jaggery and little water, if need be.
5. Cook till nice aroma comes from this gravy. (Frequent stirring is needed otherwise the curry will stick into pan)

Rasavangi with Brinjal# Enjoy the Brinjal Rasavangi Hot. #

NB = Taking a blogging break for 6 weeks.

This is my Submission for JFI (Brinjal) Hosted by Ghar ka Khana

26 comments:

FH said...

MT!! I LOVE Rasavangi.Looks mouthwatering girl.I have one too at FH and I love it with Dosas:))
Have a great break and come back soon.I will miss you dear friend.Hugs.

Shah cooks said...

brinjal is in fashion...enjoy ur break..

USHA said...

Recipe looks great....Happy vacation.

Anonymous said...

Oh, MT it looks so delicious -- I could just put a spoon right into that lovely curry now :) Thanks for sharing this recipe, definitely will try. Have a wonderful break, I'll miss you! :)

Sia said...

i just love it MT. this month i am enjoying all different eggplant dishes:) feast for all my senses:)
by the way, is ur blog in food blog desam? if not please send mail to indira or mathy to include ur blog. i dont want to miss any of ur posts:)

Anonymous said...

great looking dish...even though I am not a eggplant fan...maybe I will convert...eggplants recipes all over the place at the moment..~grin~

Uma Maheswari said...

wow! your site looks great! i was searching for more kulambu and found your site! I will try some!

thanks!

Suganya said...

Wow! I just submitted the same recipe for JFI :D

Prema Sundar said...

Haven't had chance to taste rasavangi MT. looks great . have book marked it.

kalpana said...

Wow! Looks yummy!:)

Padmapriya said...

wahh.. yummy..yummy posts and photos there :)

Sia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Athika said...

Looks delicious.....will try soon. Even I have started my blog so wanted to share with everyone www.foodmasala.blogspot.com. I would like you to visit it time and tell me what you think of the things I post on it. I intend to now surf your blog thoroughly and will ofcourse keep in touch.

Sharmi said...

hey I heard of this recipe in some other blog too. looks yummy.

Suganya said...

6 weeks is such a long time, I realize each time i come here for a new post..hmm.. Come back soon MT!

Anonymous said...

hai,
this is a nice recipie.but sorry to say ur recipie is copied and a leading newspaper did it here is the link http://www.eenadu.net/htm/2vnewruchi.asp
scroll down urs is the third one

Anonymous said...

and i must say this is a nice recipie.

Suganya said...

This is looking great....Nice one....YUM!...

Anonymous said...

That is looking great.

Shah cooks said...

enjoy ur break..

Menu Today said...

Hi All,
I am Back!!!!!:-)

Sia said...

glad to see u bk MT...now how abt ur yummilicious recipes? :)

Anonymous said...

MT, Have not visited you in a long time. Rasavangi looks great. H was suggesting I make rasavangi last week. I usually put some black or white chana(soaked and cooked) in it too....just a handful. Just realized this post is a month old! I saw 18th and missed June:) Anyway, good to see your comment on my post and hope you are having a great break!

RS said...

I tried this recipe today -- it rocked!

Anonymous said...

vhs ,

can u pls tell me ,how to prepare the rasam powder?

i liked ur poricha kulambu.but,this one i will try later .

Vidya said...

Hi...I tried this recipe yesterday and it came out so well. I am loving all your recipes.