Sunday, December 03, 2006

Payaru Vella Sundal


(/) Traditional Sundal Variety.
(/) Healthy Sundal for all.

This is my submission for JFI#8 (jaggery) Hosted by Kay of Towards Better Tomorrow

Ingredients Needed:

1. Green Moong Dal - 1 cup
2. Jaggery (Gud) - 3/4 cup
3. Coconut (Grated) - 1/4 cup
4. Elaichi Powder to taste
5. Salt - 1/4 tsp
6. Ghee - 1/2 tsp

Preparing Method:

1. Fry Green Moong for 5 minutes and Soak in water for 30min.
2. Cook in a open pan till done. (not too mushy)
3. Mean time, Boil Jaggery with 1/2 cup of Water, Strain to remove dust and sand.
4. Make this into a thick syrup.
5. Now add Cooked Moong, Salt, Grated Coconut, Elaichi powder and stir well till water evaporates.
6. Garnish with fried Cashew.

Hot or Cold, Delicious and Healthy !

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice healthy recipe for Sundal MT. Ive never tasted Pachai Payir sundal with jaggery.

I just saw your comment about Okkarai in my blog. Blog about your method of making that sweet if possible, will love to try it out.

Anonymous said...

A sweet sundal, wow! didn't know it exists.

You always come up with intersting as well as traditional recipes. I think of your blog a great treasure!

Thanks MT for taking time to participate in Jihva!

FH said...

I make savoury moong sundal.This recipe very new for me,MT.Sounds and looks delicious.A great unusual entry for JFI.I will try.

sra said...

MT, never heard of this dish. I'm curious - is it to be eaten with rice and rasam or as a snack?

USHA said...

Hi MT,

Thanks for dropping comments in my site.

This is really very new to me, never heard of jaggery in sundal, but can assure it is something healthy.

Grains shich is rich in proteins,fibre and jaggery is good source of Iron too...

indosungod said...

MT, I have never tried Pachai Payar made into a sweet dish. Rich in protein and a great dish.

Krithika said...

Lovely sundal recipe. Really like your recipes, L. Thanks for sharing

Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
I shall post and let you know. May be after some time. Thanks.

Hi Indira,
Thanks for your visit and kind words.

Hi Asha,
Please do let me know the out come of it. Thanks.

Hi Sra,
It is a evening snack. Keep visiting. Thanks.

Hi Usha,
We make this sundal with Karamani also.During Navrathiri this dish is compulsory on one day for neivedhyam. Thanks.

Hi Indo,
Thanks a lot for visiting.

Hi Kirthika,
Thank u so much.