The Usual side dish for Idiappam is Kurma or Sambar.
My friend usually makes Stew to go with Idiappam. I learnt this from her and my version, include Beans, Peas and Carrot with Potatoes and Onions.
() Stew is Vegetables cooked in Coconut milk.
() Dish of Kerala / Tamilnadu.
1. Mixed vegetables (Potatoes, Carrots, Beans, Peas - each 3/4 cup, cut into cubes)
2. Coconut milk (Store bought - 1/4 Cup diluted in 1 1/2 cups of water.) - Round 1
2a. Coconut milk - (Store bought 1/4 Cup diluted in 1/4 Cup of water.) - Round 2
2b. Coconut Milk-(Store bought 1/4 cup) (thick)
3. Onion Sliced 2
4. Green chillies 4 (according to taste)
5. Ginger one small piece
6. Garlic Pods 2
7. Salt to taste
8. Oil 1 tsp
9. Curry Leaves
10. Pepper Powder 1/4 tsp
1. Peel, Wash and Cut the vegetables into cubes and Pressure cook .
2. Slice Onion and keep it aside.
3. Make a Paste with Green Chillies, Ginger and Garlic. [3G]
4. Heat Oil in a pan saute Curry leaves and Onions for 2 minutes (Onions should not be brown) along with
5. Coconut Milk - Round 1 - Pour the Coconut mil in the Pan and cook till Onions become soft.
6. Add Vegetables and Coconut Milk (Round 2) and Cook for 3 minute. Add Salt and before removing add coconut milk.(2b)
* Serve Hot with Idiappam. *
+> Easy on the Stomach for Kids, Elders. <+ Vegetable Stew